Uncompromised Quality Photography
By Photographer Dan Harris
A home-studio photography business in Jacksonville, FL
1124 Riviera St. Jacksonville, FL 32207 (904) 398-7668
Before you hire a wedding photographer answer these questions:
Here's a checklist of questions to add to the others you got from the bridal magazine.
Don't make a hasty decision you will regret later!
- Is my photographer operating legally with licenses & insurance and caught up on their sales tax and unemployment insurance or is the government coming to shut them down tommorow for not paying taxes?
- Are they using professional equipment (minimum 12 megapixels or medium format) with quality lenses or just a starter DSLR camera? Learn more about cameras here: dpreview.com
- Is there at least 2 photographers and 2 or more cameras for backup to insure nothing is missed?
- How many photos will the photographers take on my wedding day?
- Have I seen AT LEAST this many wedding-day photos taken by the same photographer I plan on hiring?
- Have I seen several actual wedding albums (not samples) of photos taken by THE same photographer who will be taking the photos on my wedding day?
- When viewing the images in the albums ask yourself if these photos were taken on my wedding day, at the price I have been quoted, would I be pleased?
- Have I based my decision on the typical quality and style the photographer offers independent of the price?
- Did the photographer capture the distinctive moments that tell the complete story of the wedding day?
- What percentage of the photos were posed? Is that what I want?
- Is the photography of what really happened or mostly contrived, set-up, posed or faked?
- Is the photographer going to force me and my friends into contrived set-up unnatural-looking poses that make me uncomfortable?
- Realistically how much time on your wedding day will you be kept from your guests posing for pictures?
- Is my photographer shooting inferior 35mm film or medium-format quality?
- Do I really like the quality, style & personality of what I have seen (independent of the price)?
- Will ALL my proofs be on the internet so I can share them with my out-of-town guests?
- Do I have to pay extra for special effects, editing & retouching?
- What is the price of reprints? Is there a minimum order on reprints? Or a time-limit on their availability?
- Do I have a clear upfront understanding of what I am really getting and what everything will cost? Is it in writing?
- Have I verified their references? Are they a member of: PPA and this North Florida organization: PPSNF? How about BBB? These organizations help train the vendors and protect the consumer. If your photographer isn't a part of at least these professional organizations, DON'T hire them!
- What am I really getting for the price I am paying? Is it listed on the contract?
- What are their guarantees? What if a mistake is made on an album page or a reprint order?
- Are the photos printed on Kodak Endura professional paper for 100-200 years permanence? (www.RealEnduraPhotographs.com)
- Are the printed originals going to be stamped 'proof ' across the front?
- Do I understand what is extra and how the company policies work? Or will there be surprises later?
- Have I read the fine print on the contract and clarified in writing any verbal understandings?
- Do I get a CD or DVD of my photographs? Did I see a sample of what it is like?
- Are they using pushy 'salesmanship' tactics to try to con me into hiring them?
- Does the price of what they are offering seem out-of-line with other top-end professionals? Is it too good to be true?
- To circumvent any unforeseen problems, will there be backup cameras, extra equipment and a second photographer at my event?
- Has the photographer shown me the quality and archival features of the products I am purchasing?
- Are my album photographs UV coated to protect against light, fingerprints, scratches & moisture?
- Does the album construction resemble an inferior-quality 'paper-back' book?
- What is the manufacture's guarantee on the album construction?
- How much input do I have in the design of my album?
- Are the album pages archival and tested not to fade for 300 years?
- Is the album assembled with destructive acidic glue or double-stick tape that will eventually yellow and stain my pictures?
- What happens if an album page is damaged, can it easily be brought back to like new condition? At what cost?
- To insure I am not wasting my money, am I confident that I am getting the best quality available?
- Is the photographer flexible enough to take care of me and my needs or will they stiffly impose their policies and procedures on my event.
Member of: BBB- Better Business Bureau, PPA- Professional Photographers of America and PPSNF -Professional Photographers Society of North Florida.
This complete website (www.danharrisphotoart.com) and all content (including photographs and verbiage)
is copyrighted and cannot be used without permission. ©2009 Dan Harris PhotoArt All Rights Reserved